I haven't bake a pound cake for quite some time and decided to try a new flavour. Since I've got honey greek yogurt, bananas and blueberries at home, I decided to combine these ingredients to bake a healthy one, at the same time try out my new Mastrad Savarin Cake pan. This cake turns out moist even though butter is cut substantially. This is due to the generous amount of Greek-style yogurt and mashed bananas which are healthy substitutes for fat in this recipe.
|This is the French Mastrad silicon cake mould I used to bake this pound cake.|
Banana Blueberry Yogurt Pound Cake
(english recipe modified greatly from 'here', chinese recipe translated by bakingtaitai)
|Can you spot the little 'heart' on the cut-out piece? :)|
240g plain flour (I used Blue Jacket unbleached all purpose flour)
1 tsp baking powder (I used aluminium-free baking powder which is healthier and improves the taste of your bakes)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
100g unsalted butter, soften at room temperature
150g caster sugar
2 large eggs (I used eggs weighing 65g each)
1/2 (3 inches) vanilla bean pod
250ml plain or greek-style yogurt (I used honey greek yogurt)
300g bananas, without skin (approximate 3 large)
1 punnet (125g) fresh blueberries, washed & pat dry
300克 香蕉，去皮 （大约三大条）
125克 新鲜蓝莓, 洗净擦干
1. Grease the baking pan.
2. Weigh the ingredients.
3. Remove seeds from the vanilla pod and add to eggs, slightly beat together.
4. In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
5. Mashed the bananas.
|Preparation work all done. |
1. Use an electric mixer to cream the butter and sugar together until well combined.
2. Beat in the eggs and vanilla mixture gradually. Scrape the sides when necessary.
3. Using lowest speed, mix in one third of the flour mixture, followed by yogurt. Mix in another third of the flour mixture, followed by the mashed banana. Mix in remaining flour mixture until no flour is seen. (Mix the dry and wet ingredients until just combined will do. Do not over mix or you will overdeveloped the gluten causing the cake texture to be dense and hard)
4. Dust the blueberries with a little flour and add to the batter. (This will prevent the blueberries from sinking all to the bottom.)
5. Pour batter into prepared pan.
6. Bake in a preheated oven at 170°C and bake for about 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. (My oven temperature setting: 150°C- 30 mins, 160°C- 20 mins)
6. 放入预热烤箱以170摄氏度烘烤约60分钟或直达竹签插入中心没有粘黏就可以取出。（我的烤箱调的温度是：150°C- 30 分钟，160°C- 20分钟)
7. Remove from the oven, allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before storing in an air-tight container.
|It is normal for pound cakes to have cracked top. |
Feedback given by readers who have tried out this recipe:
Asnah Ishah says, "My husband gave thumbs up, very tasteful, this recipe is a keeper!"
Chong Tet Chu says," I like this recipe very much, firstly because I love blueberries, secondly it uses lesser butter and thirdly it is very moist, soft and healthier!Thank you!"
Do give this recipe a try. If you like it, share the recipe using the social media buttons below. You may also like to subscribe to Baking Taitai's free newsletter so that you will never miss a new recipe post. You’ll get an e-mail in your inbox each time a new post is published. You can also find Baking Taitai on Pinterest , Facebook, Instagram and Youtube for the latest updates.
The cooking temperature as suggested in all my recipes serve as a guideline. Every oven has different thermostat, you may have to adjust the temperature and timing to suit your oven. Different brand of ingredients have different composites, thus there may be a slight difference in the end result.
“It takes much time and effort to compose and translate recipes, I would appreciate it if you DO NOT copy and pass it off as your own as I have painstakingly prepared each blog recipe. If you wish to share or adapt any of the recipes that I have posted in this blog, please give credit and provide a link back to the relevant post here. Thank you.”