I'm back from a wonderful family winter vacations and having experienced freezing cold temperature at -9 degree Celsius as well as highly polluted air quality of PSI 500, am I glad to be home! My oven has rested well too for the past one month and it is all ready for moi to work it hard again...lol!
Here's sharing my new experiment and recipe of a roll cake which I have transformed into a Christmas log cake for my church Caregroup gathering last weekend. My friends who were my 'guinea pigs' gave thumbs up for it and they love the smooth, soft and bouncy cake texture. They told me that they have not tasted such nice roll cake texture before and they also love the chocolate and coffee cream fillings which is light and not too sweet. My hubby who hardly praises also commented that this is the best roll cake I have made so far!
As I was rushing to attend the gathering, I didn't have time to take out my DSLR camera to take some nice shots of the cake, only manage to snap one photo of the completed cake with my mobile phone.
I highly recommend you to give this cake a try and here's wishing everyone a Blessed and Joyous Christmas!
Highly recommended Bailey's Chocolate and Coffee Roll Cake
Ingredients for coffee cake : (baking pan - 33cm x 38cm)
6 egg yolk (I used eggs each weighing 60g)
20g caster sugar
40g extra virgin olive oil
50g fresh milk
90g cake flour, sifted (I used premium Blue Jacket cake flour）
3.6g (2 satchets) instant coffee powder (DO NOT use 3 in 1 coffee)
10g hot water
2 tsp Baileys coffee flavoured liqueur
6 egg white (I used eggs each weighing 60g)
90g caster sugar
咖啡蛋糕食材： (烤盘 - 33cm x 38cm)
6颗 蛋黄 （我用重量60克的蛋)
90克 低筋面粉，过筛 （我用优质水手牌蛋糕粉）
3.6克 （两包）即溶咖啡粉 （不可用3合1咖啡）
6颗 蛋白 （我用重量60克的蛋)
Method for making coffee cake 咖啡蛋糕做法：
1. Mix the coffee powder well with hot water, then add in the Bailey's coffee liqueur, mix well and set aside.
1。咖啡粉与热水混合均匀, 再加入百利咖啡味甜酒，混合均匀, 备用。
2. Beat the sugar with egg yolks until it dissolves. Add in the oil gradually, mix well before adding in the milk, beat till well combined.
3. Mix in the sifted flour in 2 additions into the egg yolk mixture till no flour is seen.
4. Add in the coffee and liqueur mixture, mix well and set aside.
5. Beat the egg white till bubble stage, add in the sugar gradually and beat till firm peak. (firm peak is in between soft and stiff peak)
6. Add the meringue into the egg yolk batter 1/3 at a time, each time gently mixed well before adding the next.
7. Pour the batter into the baking pan laid with baking paper and smoothen the surface.
8. Bang the baking pan a few times on the worktop to deflate big air bubbles. Put into a preheated oven at 180 degree Celsius top/bottom heat and bake for about 12 minutes. (Please adjust temperature and timing according to your own oven.)
9. Remove the cake from the oven, transfer to a wire rack, peel open the sides of the baking paper to cool the cake. Put another piece of baking paper on it, flipped it over and peel off the top baking paper.
Ingredients for chocolate cream : (If you are NOT transforming the roll cake into log cake, just use 2/3 of the ingredients to make the inner cream fillings)
300g dairy whipping cream（I used whipping cream with 38% fat )
150g dark chocolate (I used 85% cocoa Lindt dark chocolate)
2 tsp gelatin powder
3 tbsp water
1 tbsp Baileys chocolate luxe liqueur
300克 动物性鲜奶油 （我用含有38%脂肪的鲜奶油）
Method for chocolate cream filling 巧克力鲜奶油做法 :
1. In a bowl, sprinkle gelatin powder (without stirring) into water, put aside for 10 minutes for grains to swell before setting the bowl over a bowl of hot water. Stir with a spoon until gelatin melts.
2. Mix the gelatin solution well with a little whipping cream before mixing with the rest of the whipping cream. Use an electric mixer to beat the whipping cream till firm peak, set aside in fridge.2。胶粉液加入少许鲜奶油，混合均匀再加入剩余的鲜奶油。用电动打蛋器打发至不流动状态, 放入冰箱备用。
3. Break up the chocolate into smaller pieces, melt it in a dry, clean bowl over a double boiler, stir it until you get a smooth paste. (I melt it directly over my induction hob using the lowest heat.)
4. Remove the whipping cream from the fridge, pour in the hot melted chocolate immediately and mix quickly till well combined. Then add in the chocolate liqueur, mix well.4。打好的鲜奶油从冰箱拿出，马上加入温热的巧克力酱，快速搅拌均匀。再加入巧克力甜酒，拌匀。
5. Spread the cream evenly on the cake surface before rolling it up. (depending on your room temperature, if the cream melts too fast, you may put it in the fridge to harden a little before spreading) Wrap the whole cake with baking paper and put into a plastic bag before putting it into the freezer to chill hard before cutting into pieces to serve.
NOTE: You may skip the following step if you are not transforming it into a log cake.
Decorating chocolate coffee cream for log cake
Ingredients for chocolate coffee cream :
150g dairy whipping cream（I used whipping cream with 38% fat )
25g caster sugar
2 tsp Baileys coffee flavored liqueur
2 tsp Baileys chocolate luxe liqueur
1/3 portion of the above chocolate cream
150克 动物性鲜奶油 （我用含有38%脂肪的鲜奶油）
Method for chocolate coffee cream 巧克力咖啡鲜奶油做法 :
1. Use an electric mixer to beat the whipping cream and sugar till firm peak.
2. Mix in the chocolate cream together with coffee and chocolate liqueur.
3. Decorate as desired.
Do give this recipe a try. If you like it, share the recipe using the social media buttons below. You may also like to subscribe to Baking Taitai's free newsletter so that you will never miss a new recipe post. You’ll get an e-mail in your inbox each time a new post is published. You can also find Baking Taitai on Pinterest , Facebook, Instagram and Youtube for the latest updates.
This post is linked at Cook and Celebrate: Christmas 2015
and Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids.
Thanks for dropping by. See you again!谢谢您的拜访，下次再见！
The cooking temperature as suggested in all my recipes serve as a guideline. Every oven has different thermostat, you may have to adjust the temperature and timing to suit your oven. Different brand of ingredients have different composites, thus there may be a slight difference in the end result. 食谱里的烘烤温度和时间只是供参考，每一架烤炉的恒温器都不同，请自己调适。不同品牌的材料有不同的复合材料，所以最终成品有可能稍有不同。
“It takes time and effort to compose or translate recipes, I would appreciate it if you do not copy and pass it off as your own recipe. If you wish to share or adapt any of the recipes that I have posted in this blog, please provide a link back to the relevant post here. Thank you.”
© Copyright 2015 bakingtaitai.blogspot.sg