It is not difficult to make your own fruit or vegetable powder at home. I am one home baker who avoids using unhealthy artificial colorings or artificial ingredients in my food preparation and advocates using healthy, natural and premium ingredients. Hence, to achieve my favorite color purple, I have made a pot of purple sweet potato powder which can be used for making bread, cookies, macarons, mooncakes, cakes etc.
|Source from Internet 来源自网络|
|Click 'HERE' for updated recipe.|
Homemade Purple Sweet Potato Powder
(中文食谱改篇之‘这里’，english recipe translated by bakingtaitai)
Ingredients 食材 :
1.5kg purple sweet potato with skin 紫薯连皮
( makes about 280g sweet potato powder 能做出约280克紫薯粉)
1. Wash & scrub the purple sweet potatoes clean.
2. Steam with skin for about 30~35 minutes till soft.
|Steaming in process.....|
3. After the purple sweet potatoes are steamed soft, peel off the skin and use a fork to mash it up.
4. Use a spoon to spread the mashed purple sweet potato very thinly onto a non-stick baking paper.
5. Bake in an oven using 50~70 degree Celcius top/bottom heat fan forced for about 2~3 hours. (Adjust timing according to the moistness and thickness of the mashed purple sweet potatoes. )
6. When the purple mashed potatoes become crisp paper-like and is easy to peel off the non-stick baking paper, it is done.
7. Put it into a food processor and grind it to a powder form.
8. Pour it into a sieve. Re-grind those that did not pass through it and grind till it becomes powder form.
|Isn't this beautiful? |
9. Store in a clear glass container in room temperature (away from sunlight, heat and moisture) for 3~4 months.
Update 2 Oct 2015
Used this powder to make these Purple Sweet Potato Egg White Cookies, love the natural purplish pink colour! Click 'here' for recipe. 用了紫薯粉做了这些蛋白奶油饼干，很满意用天然材料烘出来的紫红色。点击‘这’看食谱。
Sharing Ah Yr's purple sweet potato powder using this recipe.
Do give this recipe a try. If you like it, share the recipe using the social media buttons below. You may also like to subscribe to Baking Taitai's free newsletter so that you will never miss a new recipe post. You’ll get an e-mail in your inbox each time a new post is published. You can also find Baking Taitai on Pinterest , Facebook, Instagram and Youtube for the latest updates.
Thanks for dropping by. See you again!
The cooking temperature as suggested in all my recipes serve as a guideline. Every oven has different thermostat, you may have to adjust the temperature and timing to suit your oven. Different brand of ingredients have different composites, thus there may be a slight difference in the end result. 食谱里的烘烤温度和时间只是供参考，每一架烤炉的恒温器都不同，请自己调适。不同品牌的材料有不同的复合材料，所以最终成品有可能稍有不同。
“It takes time and effort to compose or translate recipes, I would appreciate it if you do not copy and pass it off as your own recipe. If you wish to share or adapt any of the recipes that I have posted in this blog, please provide a link back to the relevant post here. Thank you.”