The Lunar/Chinese New Year (CNY) is less than a month away. Have you started making CNY goodies? Most traditional Lunar New Year goodies are packed with sugar and fat, with little nutritional value at all. Thus, I am determined to come up with a healthier cookie recipe this year. I have tweaked and modified greatly an almond cookies recipe found on 孟老师's cookie recipe book.
Almond is a healthy ingredient and it is used in ground/powder form in the recipe.
|Source from Internet|
I have added super fine textured wholemeal flour (so happy that Blue Jacket wholemeal flour is finally sold in Singapore!), reduced the sugar amount and used healthier cooking oil instead of butter!
I experimented twice on this Healthy Wholemeal Cranberry Almond Cookies. First time using sunflower oil and the second time using extra virgin coconut oil. I love using coconut oil in my bake as it is very healthy. Just look at it's benefits!
|Source from Internet|
My hubby and I prefers the latter baked with coconut oil as it has a stronger coconut taste and more fragrant, tastes a little like kueh bangkit. (traditional nonya coconut flavoured cookies) My kids prefer the former as it tastes more almondy. You have the choice of using your favourite cooking oil to try out this recipe but do take note that different types of oil will result in a slightly different taste. Highly recommend you to give this a try, eat with less guilt this CNY! ;p
Healthy Wholemeal Cranberry Almond Cookies
Ingredients：(makes about 50 pieces)
140g cake flour (I used Blue Jacket unbleached cake flour)
35g super fine wholemeal flour (I used Blue Jacket whole wheat flour)
60g super fine ground almond (I used superfine almond blanched powder bought from phoon huat)
75g icing sugar
100ml cooking oil* (1st try used sunflower oil, 2nd try use extra virgin coconut oil )
75g dried cranberry (diced)
* You may use salad oil, corn oil, grape seed oil, etc. (using different type of oils will also vary in taste.)
1. Sift the cake flour, wholemeal flour and icing sugar together. Then add in the blanched almond powder and diced dried cranberries. Stir and mix well.
2. Add in oil gradually into the mixture, use a silicon spatula to mix and form a soft dough. (must use super fine wholemeal flour and ground almond in order to form a soft dough which is manageable, if you can't get super fine ones, then use a food processor to grind it very fine. )
3. Shape into small round balls of about 10 grams each, place on a baking tray laid with baking paper or mat.
4. Bake in a preheated oven at 150°C top/bottom heat fan forced for 15-20 minutes or until slightly brown. (my oven took 18 minutes)
5. Remove from oven, leave cookies on the baking tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wiring rack. Cool completely before storing into airtight containers. Store in room temperature for 15~20 days, in fridge for 1~2 months and in freezer for 3~4 months.
Click 'HERE' for more CNY goodies recipes：
Do give this recipe a try. If you like it, share the recipe using the social media buttons below. You may also like to subscribe to Baking Taitai's free newsletter so that you will never miss a new recipe post. You’ll get an e-mail in your inbox each time a new post is published. You can also find Baking Taitai on Pinterest , Facebook, Instagram and Youtube for the latest updates.
The cooking temperature as suggested in all my recipes serve as a guideline. Every oven has different thermostat, you may have to adjust the temperature and timing to suit your oven. Different brand of ingredients have different composites, thus there may be a slight difference in the end result. 食谱里的烘烤温度和时间只是供参考，每一架烤炉的恒温器都不同，请自己调适。不同品牌的材料有不同的复合材料，所以最终成品有可能稍有不同。
“It takes much time and effort to compose and translate recipes, I would appreciate it if you DO NOT copy and pass it off as your own as I have painstakingly prepared each blog recipe. If you wish to share or adapt any of the recipes that I have posted in this blog, please give credit and provide a link back to the relevant post here. Thank you.”
© Copyright 2016 www.bakingtaitai.com