This week is our local school break, I am usually busier with the kids around and I can't try recipes which take up too much time. I saw this simple honey cupcake recipe while browsing through a Chinese recipe book by 君之 and decided to give it a try with my 7-year-old boy. It's been a while since he bakes together with mummy, our last bake bonding session was when we baked the Number cookies using the Tovolo number cookie cutters last November. This recipe is rather easy, he could do almost all the steps except the whisking of the eggs using the electric mixer which I gave him a hand. We have also added blueberries to the batter for a fruity taste. He was really happy and proud to bake these delicious and soft honey cupcakes.
Blueberry Honey Cupcakes
(chinese recipe adapted from ‘跟着君子学烘焙’ book and english recipe translated by Baking Taitai)
Ingredients: (depending on cupcake mould size, makes 6~12)
80g cake flour (I used premium Blue Jacket cake flour)
2 eggs (I used 60 grams ones)
40g caster sugar
30ml flavourless vegetable oil (I used sunflower oil)
100g fresh blueberries
80克 低筋面粉 （我用优质水手牌蛋糕粉）
30毫升 无味植物油 （我用向日葵油）
Baking: middle rack, 190 degrees Celcius top/bottom heat, 15 minutes (depending on size of cupcake mould & oven, adjust accordingly.)
1. Put the sugar and honey into a mixing bowl, then add in the eggs.
2. Pour hot water into a pot, put the mixing bowl in the hot water. Use an electric mixer to whisk the egg mixture continuously over the bain-marie.
3. Whisk the warmed egg mixture initially on low speed till foamy stage then progress to medium high.
4. Continue beating until ribbon stage, meaning when you lift the whisk over the mixture, the batter should fall slowly forming a ribbon that will hold it's shape and not disappear into the batter.
|This is ribbon stage.|
5. Sift the flour into the batter half at a time, mix well before sifting the other half.
6. Use a silicon spatula to fold in the flour gently to avoid potentially bursting the air bubbles.
|Little one has chosen the Tovolo Spatuart Ladybug & Leaves Spatula to fold in the flour.|
7. Add in the oil, fold in gently until well combined.
8. Scoop the batter into the cake pan laid with cupcake liners, half to 2/3 filled up, then add in the blueberries.
|Little one is using the Tovolo Cupcake scoop to dispend the batter into the cupcake moulds, it's so easy and without mess too!|
9. Put the baking pan into a preheated oven at 190 degree Celcius and bake for about 15 minutes or till surface is golden brown . (My oven took 12 minutes to bake.)
|Eagerly waiting....good thing my Brandt oven has the cool door 4 glass feature, he won't get his hands burnt! 还好这款烘炉有凉门的特征，要不然他的小手就会被烧到了！|
|My little boy is happy and feels accomplished baking this batch of delicious cupcakes. Would you like to have one? :)|
1. Beating whole eggs at a temperature of about 40 degrees is the easiest to whisk till ribbon stage, thus the use of bain-marie. However, the temperature must not be too high, otherwise it will affect the stability of the egg during whisking.
2. Whisking whole eggs is more difficult than whisking egg white. Thus, it's recommended to use an electric mixer. It will be difficult to whisk till ribbon stage if a hand whisk is used.
3. Use flavourless vegetable oil like soybean oil, corn oil etc. do not use tea oil, peanut oil, olive oil or other flavoured oil as it will make the cake taste very weird.
4. Whisking of eggs must be thorough, pay attention to the technique of folding the flour in. If whisking or folding is inappropriate, it will affect the texture of the cake causing it not be soft and fluffy or the cake may not even rise during baking.
Do give this recipe a try. If you like it, share the recipe using the social media buttons below. You may also like to subscribe to Baking Taitai's free newsletter so that you will never miss a new recipe post. You’ll get an e-mail in your inbox each time a new post is published. You can also find Baking Taitai on Pinterest , Facebook, Instagram and Youtube for the latest updates.
Thanks for dropping by. See you again!
The cooking temperature as suggested in all my recipes serve as a guideline. Every oven has different thermostat, you may have to adjust the temperature and timing to suit your oven. Different brand of ingredients have different composites, thus there may be a slight difference in the end result. 食谱里的烘烤温度和时间只是供参考，每一架烤炉的恒温器都不同，请自己调适。不同品牌的材料有不同的复合材料，所以最终成品有可能稍有不同。
“It takes time and effort to compose or translate recipes, I would appreciate it if you do not copy and pass it off as your own recipe. If you wish to share or adapt any of the recipes that I have posted in this blog, please provide a link back to the relevant post here. Thank you.”
© Copyright 2015 bakingtaitai.blogspot.sg