Last Wednesday was my birthday. I didn't plan to bake a cake for myself initially as I wanted to chill and relax on that special day. However there was a sudden urge to bake that morning as I was craving for baked cheesecake! I immediately took out Carol's baking book and adpated her Lemon cheesecake (which I had bookmarked and on my to-bake list) to bake myself a Key Lime Cheesecake since I still had some Key Limes left after baking the Key Lime Meringue Tart for my blog's 1st anniversary the week before.
I quickly got down to baking it and chilling it before setting off for my birthday lunch treat from my best friend, Grace at Daniel Boulud Bistro (a nice french restaurant by celebrity Chef Daniel Boulud) located at Marina Bay Sands. Came home around evening to decorate it with some whipping cream and fresh blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. Love the cake for its great taste!
|Both of us were really filled up with the above 6 courses! The DB signature sirlon burger filled with braised short ribs and Foie Gras served on Parmesan bun is a must try!|
This tutorial video is done using an iphone with one hand filming and taking photos while working with the other.
Key Lime Classic Cheesecake
(recipe adapted from 胡涓涓’s‘烘焙新手必备的第一本书’）
Recipe食谱 ：(for an 8 inch round mould with removable base 8吋分离式圆模1个 )
A: Base Crust
Digestive Biscuits 70g (I used 110g, about 8 pieces)
Unsalted Butter 35g (I used 40g)
1.5 tbsp caster sugar (I omitted)
消化饼干 70g （我用110g， 大概8片）
1. Use double boiling method to melt unsalted butter. (I melt the butter directly over my Brandt induction hob.)
2. Put the digestive biscuits in a plastic bag, use a rolling pin to crush it up finely before adding sugar. (I used my U-blender to blend it to get a finer texture and have omitted the sugar.)
3. Mix the melted butter and crushed digestive biscuits together.
4. Pour the biscuit crumbs into the cake pan, press firmly onto the base of the pan.
4.将混合好的饼干碎倒入蛋糕模中,利用一个平底的容器将饼干碎压实。 (一定要确实压紧, 脱模才不会松散掉)
5. Bake in a preheated oven 120 degrees Celcius for 10 minutes before taking out to cool down. (Do not remove the biscuit base crust from the pan.) (I selected the traditional function for my Brandt oven)
a - cake batter:
450g cream cheese
20g caster sugar
4 egg yolks
50g heavy whipping cream (I used whipping cream of 38% dairy fat)
40g unsalted butter
40g low gluten flour (I used top flour, can be replaced by cake flour)
Zest from 1 lemon (I used key lime zest)
Juice from half a lemon (I used juice from one key lime)
1 tablespoon Cointreau (I omitted it)
b - meringue part:
4 egg whites
1 teaspoon lemon juice (I used key lime juice)
60g caster sugar
a - 面糊部份:
柠檬皮屑 1个 （我用青柠屑）
柠檬汁 1茶匙 （我用青柠汁）
1. Cream cheese softened slightly at room temperature or softened using a microwave oven, cut into small pieces.
2. Separate the egg whites and yolks carefully, ensuring that the egg whites do not have any traces of egg yolk or in contact with water or oil. (Suggest that you separate the eggs in a smaller bowl first, ensure no traces of egg yolk is found in the egg white before transferring to a bigger stainless steel mixing bowl. The slightest trace of egg yolk will cause the meringue to be unsuccessful. )
3. Sift the low-gluten flour.
4. Melt the butter using bain-marie method or microwave oven.
5. Extract the juice and zest from the lemon. (I used key lime)
1. Use an electric mixer to mix the cream cheese and sugar together until light and fluffy.
2. Add the followings in this order - egg yolk, whipping cream, low-gluten flour, lemon/key lime zest, lemon/key lime juice, Cointreau, unsalted butter. (mix each addition of ingredient well before adding the next ingredient.)
3. Use an electric mixer, beat the egg whites in medium speed, add in the lemon juice and half amount of sugar at foamy stage. Add the other half amount of sugar at soft peak stage and using high speed to beat till stiff peak.
4. Use a silicon spatula to fold the meringue into the cream cheese mixture until well combined.
5. Pour the mixture into the cake pan wrapped with two layers of aluminium foil on the exterior base.
6. Place the cake pan on a bigger baking pan/tray, fill up the bigger tray with hot water, avoid adding more water in between baking as the opening of oven door may caused the cake to collapse due to changes in temperature.
7. Bake in preheated oven 180 degrees Celcius for 10 minutes before lowering the temperature to 140 degrees Celcius and bake for another 60 minutes. Use a skewer to test, cake is done when skewer comes out with slight crumbs instead of watery batter.
8. Remove from oven, cooled down completely before chilling the refrigerator for 3~4 hours before unmoulding it.
9. After chilled, use a small flat knife, run around the edges of the cake pan for easier unmoulding.
10. Use a long blade thin knife, heat it over the fire on the gas store to cut the cake neatly. (Clean the knife before heating over the fire after cutting each piece. )
Personal Notes 小笔记：
There are some slight cracks on the surface of the cake after baking, will lower the temperature to 150 degrees the next time when I bake this cake. 蛋糕表面稍微有些裂，下次再做，会把温度调低到150摄氏度。
This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Diana from Domestic Goddess Wannabe.
This post is also linked to the event Cook Your Books #15 organised by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.
“It takes time and effort to compose or translate recipes, I would appreciate it if you do not copy and pass it off as your own recipe. If you wish to share or adapt any of the recipes that I have posted in this blog, please provide a link to the relevant post here. Thank you.”
© Copyright 2014 bakingtaitai.blogspot.sg