I grew up eating Sara Lee's pound cake. It's iconic delicious and rich butter pound cake is not unfamiliar with most who can easily spot it in the frozen dessert section in the supermarket. Before I started baking, I would always stock up a few loaf trays of frozen Sara Lee's assortment pound cakes in my freezer as it makes a quick breakfast and great snacks for my family.
I have since stop buying this frozen ready pound cake as I can bake my own healthy version now. This healthy pound cake recipe which I am sharing with you today has been copied from the internet long ago but have forgotten the original source. I have modified the recipe by reducing the amount of sugar as well as replacing with healthier ingredients. I have replaced the plain yogurt with my favourite Greek yogurt. The love of this thick and creamy yogurt dates back to my Greece trip more than a decade ago. In its native country, it is known as 'yiaourti' and is used commonly in cooking and substitute for other less healthy ingredients. I used it very often in my baking as you can see in these recipes like the 'Light Cotton Yogurt Cake', 'Easy Chocolate Yogurt Muffins', 'Matcha Tofu Cheesecake' and 'Lemon Yogurt Cupcakes'.
Besides orange, you can also use this recipe and create other flavours like lemon, chocolate, matcha, etc. and add in chocolate chips, raisins or dried cranberries too. It is a simple and yet healthy cake to enjoy with a cup of your choice beverage.
Orange Yogurt Pound Cake
Ingredients: (makes a large loaf pan)
- 3 large eggs
- 200g organic raw sugar (can replaced with castor sugar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 280g plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 250ml Greek yogurt (can replaced with plain yogurt)
- 120ml sunflower oil
- icing sugar (for dusting, optional)
- Orange zest (use a fruit peeler to peel the zest (orange part), avoid the pith (white part) as it is bitter.
- 3粒 大鸡蛋
- 200克 有机原糖（可以用白砂糖取代）
- 1茶匙 香草精
- 280克 普通面粉
- 3茶匙 发粉
- 250毫升 希腊酸奶 (可以用纯酸奶取代）
- 120毫升 葵花籽油
- 糖霜 (装饰用， 可免）
- 柳橙皮（用研磨器刨取柳橙皮屑- 橙色部分, 避免白色部分因为是苦的)
1. Use an electric mixer and whisk the egg and sugar for about 1 minute till combined.
2. Add vanilla extract. Beat for a further 3-4 minutes until pale, thick and creamy.
3. In another bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Fold into the above mixture. (Do not over-mix to avoid gluten from forming as it will affect the cake texture. )
4. Mix in the yogurt, follow by the sunflower oil and orange zest. (I use zest from one orange)
5. Pour batter into a lined and greased loaf pan.
6. Bake at 160 degrees celcius top and bottom heat with fan (I used traditional pulsed function for my brandt oven) in a preheated oven for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Leave cake in tin to cool for 10 minutes before transferring to a cake rack to cool.
8. Dust with icing sugar. (optional)
Note 注意 :
You can store the cake in room temperature for up to two days or in an airtight container or zipper freezer bag in the freezer for up to two months.
Sharing Sharon Wang's bake using this recipe, she says, "I had some leftover yogurt in the fridge. Saw your recipe and decided to give it a try...Whoa... tried n tested. Everyone said it was a lovely cake. The cake is really not oily unlike those I baked with butter. The yogurt holds the oil n kept the texture really soft and tasty. Something different from my usual bakes. Sugar is just sufficient. Not overly sweet:) Love it to the max... plus its healthy!"
Chinese Recipe is translated from the English recipe for my Chinese readers. Photos are personally taken by baking taitai with an iphone, sometimes with just one hand while working with the other.
“It takes time and effort to compose or translate recipes, I would appreciate it if you do not copy and pass it off as your own recipe. If you wish to share or adapt any of the recipes that I have posted in this blog, please provide a link back to the relevant post here. Thank you.”
© Copyright 2014 bakingtaitai.blogspot.sg